Serving XHTML as application/xhtml+xml for XHTML aware browsers, text/html for others

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dominique.hazael-massieux@centraliens.net>
Date: 04 Dec 2002 13:27:50 +0100
To: www-archive@w3.org
XHTML is a great way forward to avoid the infamous tag soup that many
web sites have deployed over the time. But for this, and as described by
it ought to be served as application/xhtml+xml. But some browsers do not
recognize this mime-type, and for instance, IE proposes to download a
page served with this mime-type instead of displaying it. Here is a
solution to workaround this.

On my personal web site, I serve my XHTML 1.0 as application/xhtml+xml
for all user agents, except those that don't have this mime-type in
their Accept header AND have text/html or */* in it. For those, it is
served as text/html (which is OK, since my XHTML follows the
compatibility guidelines).

To do that, I use the following settings on Apache (very much inspired
from http://schneegans.de/tips/apache-xhtml.html):
# All my .html files are XHTML
AddType  application/xhtml+xml html

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} !application/xhtml\+xml
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} (text/html|\*/\*)
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} .*\.html
RewriteRule ^.*$ - "[T=text/html,L]"

(compared to the original version, it makes the right mime-type the
default, and the wrong one only in some very specific cases).

Among the browsers that do not recognize application/xhtml+xml, I have
tested with Netscape 4.7 on Linux and IE5.5 on Windows, and they both
displayed the pages correctly (e.g., they didn't ask to download the
Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux - http://www.nimbustier.net/