Re: Remove NOTATION type

From: David Fallside <fallside@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:02:50 -0800
To: "Martin Gudgin" <marting@develop.com>
Cc: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <frystyk@microsoft.com>, "Hugo Haas" <hugo@w3.org>, "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@uk.sun.com>, "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "W3C Public Archive" <www-archive@w3.org>

Suggest you post this to dist-app as a proposal for a new issue.

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169
Int  Ph: 544.9665

                    Gudgin"              To:     "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@uk.sun.com>, "Jean-Jacques Moreau"
                    <marting@devel        <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <frystyk@microsoft.com>
                    op.com>              cc:     David Fallside/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS, "Hugo Haas" <hugo@w3.org>,
                                          "W3C Public Archive" <www-archive@w3.org>
                    11/26/2001           Subject:     Remove NOTATION type
                    12:45 PM

I suggest we remove the NOTATION complex type ( and attribute declaration )
from the encoding schema.

As several commentators have observed the NOTATION type from the
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema namespace should only be used with
attributes. However, the extended NOTATION type in the
http://www.w3.org/2001/09/soap-envelope namespace adds the standard SOAP
attributes, id and href. Obviously an attribute cannot itself have

I'm reasonably confident that removing this type from the encoding schema
will have zero impact on implementations ( because AFAIK no one is using
NOTATION type ).

Comments, flames and counter proposals to the usual address

Martin Gudgin