Remove NOTATION type

From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:45:39 -0000
To: "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@uk.sun.com>, "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Cc: "David Fallside" <fallside@us.ibm.com>, "Hugo Haas" <hugo@w3.org>, "W3C Public Archive" <www-archive@w3.org>
I suggest we remove the NOTATION complex type ( and attribute declaration )
from the encoding schema.

As several commentators have observed the NOTATION type from the
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema namespace should only be used with
attributes. However, the extended NOTATION type in the
http://www.w3.org/2001/09/soap-envelope namespace adds the standard SOAP
attributes, id and href. Obviously an attribute cannot itself have
attributes.

I'm reasonably confident that removing this type from the encoding schema
will have zero impact on implementations ( because AFAIK no one is using the
NOTATION type ).

Comments, flames and counter proposals to the usual address

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor