Re: How does mozilla handle bookmarks HTML -> RDF?

I believe Mozilla loads the .html bookmarks into memory, manipulates it in
RDF via the RDF APIs, but saves it back to disk in the HTML form. See
various docs at http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/ for details of those APIs
and pointers into the source code. I assume because the on-disk format is
HTML not RDF, the RDF graph for Mozilla bookmarks can only contain certain
sorts of triples.  I think the API call is something like 'flush' for
saving a graph back into its persistent document form...

You might also take a look at Annozilla and Annotea.
http://annozilla.mozdev.org/
http://annozilla.mozdev.org/

...the distinction between shared bookmarks vs shared 'annotations' is
slim; perhaps the use of classification/topics for the former is the main
difference. In which case, I'd recommend investigating The Open Directory
(Dmoz) classification as something you might have a look at:
 http://dmoz.org/rdf.html

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm copying the W3C Annotations
mailing list 'cos a few folk there are working on related tools.

cheers,

Dan