Re: Confusion over RDF for annotation type

From: Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:19:47 -0400
To: Matthew Wilson <matthew@mjwilson.demon.co.uk>, www-annotation@w3.org

Currently all annotations are of type rdf:type a:Annotation (namespace
a=http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#). They typically also have a
more specific annotation subclass type e.g. rdf:type aT:Comment (namespace
aT =http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotationType#). It is also possible for a
group to define other annotation subtypes and use them.

The a:Annotation could naturally be left out and just infer it from the
more specific type by using the knowledge about subClassOf definition
between the types. We have not currently done it for couple of reasons
related to history and optimization.

Marja