RE: Using XPointer with HTML

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:14:54 +0300
To: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: <www-annotation@w3.org>, <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>

I believe you are talking about the meta element[1] when used with the
http-equiv attribute.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#meta-data

Kindest regards,

Manos

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html

Says for HTML 4.0:

| An element inherits language code information according to the
following
| order of precedence (highest to lowest):

|The lang attribute set for the element itself.
|The closest parent element that has the lang attribute set (i.e., the
lang
|attribute is inherited).
|The HTTP "Content-Language" header (which may be configured in a
|server). For example: Content-Language: en-cockney
|User agent default values and user preferences.

No mention of META, has something changed for XHTML?

Jim.