RE: Using XPointer with HTML

From: Laurent Denoue <Denoue@fxpal.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:09:48 -0800
To: "Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com>, "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: <www-annotation@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, "HTML WG" <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
Based on his research, David Bargeron (followed by Ka-Ping and myself) pointed out that
"using 'human-level' page content as the basis for anchoring was more effective than using the internal structure of the page".

So I would like to understand your motivations for using XPointer-like anchors to annotate documents.
It does not make sense to me, unless you specifically need to annotate the structure of a document. In this case, I would like to hear more about these applications.

Laurent.