RE: Using XPointer with HTML

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:31:56 +0100 (BST)
To: Laurent Denoue <Denoue@fxpal.com>
cc: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>, <www-annotation@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, HTML WG <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Laurent Denoue wrote:

> Based on his research, David Bargeron (followed by Ka-Ping and myself) pointed out that
> "using 'human-level' page content as the basis for anchoring was more effective than using the internal structure of the page".

Indeed.  But that is another issue.  Another strand of work we have
pursued addresses the effectiveness of anchors by providing a measure
of their validity )or otherwise) over changes to a document.

> So I would like to understand your motivations for using XPointer-like anchors to annotate documents.
> It does not make sense to me, unless you specifically need to annotate the structure of a document. In this case, I would like to hear more about these applications.

I suggest you look at Page Valet
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/page/>

Run it with the default settings, and select some kind of accessibility
tests.  Note that it references both validation errors and accessibility
warnings to the element in the markup that gives rise to them.

Now select the EARL output.  Tools using that may want the same
information.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>