Re: Orphaned annotations

At 06:33 PM 3/18/2002 +0000, Jim Ley wrote:
>"Matthew Wilson" <matthew@mjwilson.demon.co.uk>
> > At 17:22 18/03/02 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> > >I call them Fuzzy Pointers becuase the documents they are used on are
> > >_HTML_ and XPointer isn't defined for anything other than XML and
>we're
> > >relying on HTML normilasations being similar enough that we can use
>them
> > >between different parses.
> >
> > ... which isn't really true - eg do HTML4 tables contain an implied
><tbody>
> > element if it isn't explicitly present in the document? From memory,
> > Annozilla says yes, and Amaya says no.
>
>I've looked into this from an ER perspective, and found  Mozilla, IE and
>OpenSP's normalisations to be very similar - Amaya I don't think
>normalises.
>
>Jim.

When we realized this to be a problem we asked (through someone) from the
XHTML WG to get a standard rules for canonical conversion from HTML to
XHTML . It will be needed for other purposes too, not just for XPointer. We
decided not to work on this part until we get the rules. If there are big
problems because of this let us know, I'll see what can be done.

Marja