Re: Orphaned annotations

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:26:37 +0000 (GMT)
To: Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org>
cc: <www-annotation@w3.org>

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:

> When we realized this to be a problem we asked (through someone) from the
> XHTML WG to get a standard rules for canonical conversion from HTML to
> XHTML .

As Jim already mentioned, we've discussed this on ER, and identified
a de-facto standard that works well with existing tools.

I'm not sure this should really be a matter for the XHTML WG.  The
object of the exercise is to convert to XML, regardless of whether it
happens to be XHTML.  Converting to XHTML isn't even very meaningful
in the case of HTML flavours other than 4.x, including that generated
by lots and lots of snake-oil authoring tools.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>