Re: about CritLink

ping@lfw.org wrote:

> The Crit
> system permits annotations to be stored *anywhere* on the Web, by
> *anybody* who can put up a web page in the normal fashion.

Thank you very much for this explanation, and sorry for my big mistake.

> Not just in theory.  CritLink is an application of the theory
> that yields an actual, usable solution.

Oh yes ? Are you using the STRING operator, or also some navigational operators to
find the anchor point ?
Yawas doens't use XPointers yet, but I would be happy to implement this also.
With XPointers, we have a standard to code the anchor point.
So we only miss the attributes which could be associated to one annotation.
I propose :
- Xpointer to uniquely identify the annotated text in the document
- date/time of creation by the author
- (optional) date/time when it was received by an annotation server (like Crit)
- (optional) author's name and email
- (optional) type of the annotation (your list of current markers is a good start),
but I would label them : remark, question, answer, ok, not ok
- (optional) comment : free text

I'm also terribly interested by an other attribute : the type of the annotated text.

examples : java code, event (conference name, date, ...), introduction, reference to
a paper, ...

Then it would be possible to search the Crit database for annotations on papers or
events, ...

I have a question : I recently heard about CSS and Layers. Do you think it is
possible to use a kind of layer on top of the original
document to include the annotations ? Instead of adding the links and icons in the
HTML document itself, we could be free to
add any text in the margin or anything else. It seems we can attach a CSS file to
any web page. But I don't understand this technic.
Have you considered this ?

Laurent.