Re: about CritLink and annotation systems in general

Time out.

Wow, a lot of posts! So much that we've lost a subscriber due to the deluge!

Well, it's not so unusual in even the most savvy lists for a user to forget
how to do list admin. See http://www.w3.org/Mail/ to get a refresher.

Anyway, if you're posting your intentions to leave, it would be very nice
if you could explain (either to all, or to one of the loudmouths who appear
to have taken on the moderator roles) why it is you no longer wish to
participate.

On to the new of the day:

At 10:08 AM 8/30/1999 +0200, Laurent Denoue wrote:
>in your document (http://look.boston.ma.us/garf/webdev/annote/software.html),
>you say that CritLink and Yawas
>work with pointer, page and pointer.
>Crit and Yaws use String Matching, which can also be done with a XML XPointer
>(using the STRING(...) operator).
>In Yawas, I don't use the structure of the document to "navigate" it and find
>the anchor point. Crit does the same.

Laurent, I'm not sure what you mean to say here. If you mean to say that I
am saying something misleading on my page, please point it out.

>Nobody talks about the problems involved with a proxy (local, remote or like
>Crit "mediator").

I think we've had plenty of discussion. Just nothing documented.

>But the biggest problem is that [ThirdVoice] works with a
>central, CONTROLLED server

Yes. I made the point that this can be addressed with the principle of
Comparative Trust. And that's why I'm working to liberate the protocol from
the autocratic vendors/system which contains it. (to answer ping's challenge).

ThirdVoice may be guilty of many things: (1) binding the protocol with the
service with the company name, (2) not recognizing ANY prior research.
That's not enough to turn the US Justice Dept. on them. The best way to
make ThirdVoice conform is to bring them into the research sphere. (a
little help from W3 would be nice!)

Jon
GTE Internetworking /Powered By BBN/ ......
Burlington, Mass ...........