Re: too many pencils

Sadly I am not that kind of developer. But I can suggest some design.

If it were my pencil icon I'd add the number of comments, maybe in
brackets thus: [12] but without the word "comments", trying to do it
in a way so that it does not take screen space to avoid breaking the
screen layout.  And only if it is not [1].
A user clicking such an icon, one with more that 1 comment, would see
a very simple dialog containing the date/time and the writer ids of
the comments, sorted by date latest first, in a column.
This dialog is to function like a contextual menu. Clicking one item
opens the associated comment in it's window.
The comment window would contain "comment 1 of n"  and links to the
next and the previous comment at it's bottom.

The use case is an interesting or conflictive issue foe example in the
design of a page (the html is a wireframe), or an item in an
announcement that provokes reactions, etc.
One user drops a comment and many others reply, as in a forum.

Saludos!
--
Juan Lanus