Re: Multiple spaces converted into one

On Sep 4, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Christopher Evans wrote:

> em-spaces and other spaces are already available in Unicode - see
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html#PhoneticSymbols and go
> to General Punctuation.

Two things:

First, I think we are at cross-purposes.  I was talking about the hot-
lead use of an em-space between sentences (with an en-space between
words) as the standard way of setting text, going back at least a
hundred years.  This is where the "two spaces after a sentence"
convention came from, and, in turn, it emulated the way written
documents left more space between sentences than between words.

(And yes, before you ask, I actually did this in hot lead, long
before any of you kids were born, even before computers tried to do
typesetting.)

Second, how do browsers deal with an em-space?  Do they set it wider
than a standard space?  Will they break there?  If so, would it be
better to convert a typed space-space sequence into an em-space?  (I
wouldn't think so, but it's worth asking.)

Hope this helps,
-- Greg Noel, retired UNIX guru