Re: Multiple spaces converted into one

On 5/09/2006, at 9:45 AM, Greg Noel wrote:

> Second, how do browsers deal with an em-space?  Do they set it
> wider than a standard space?  Will they break there?  If so, would
> it be better to convert a typed space-space sequence into an em-
> space?  (I wouldn't think so, but it's worth asking.)

drifting OT ;-)
I never used hot lead, but I understand that the space-space
convention came from many years bad habits on mechanical typewriters
which could not insert a "true" em-space. Some computer proportional
fonts have added trailing space in the "period" character, to
eliminate the need for two ASCII spaces at the end of a sentence.

Now that we have a unicode em-space, and browsers that recognise it
(and behave accordingly ;-) content providers who wish to use an em-
space, should insert   or   or at least their editor eg.
Amaya should optionally do it for them. I know that we can use
xml:space="preserve", but there are many internal parts of the html
engine (see RFCs) which require white space to be condensed to a
single character, and real-world browsers let this behaviour leak out
into the content area...

---
Peter Kerr      Snr Technician
School of Music   6 Symonds St