Re: Debian patches review

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:52:06AM +0200, Irene Vatton wrote:

> On Thursday 30 March 2006 15:20, you wrote:
> > enable-system-wx.diff : Adds --enable-system-wx option to link against the
> > system provided wxWidgets library rather than building it and linking
> > statically. It might need a bit of polishing, but I guess it would be nice
> > to have this option available for everyone. (attached)
>
> We fixed crashes and OpenGL problems in the wxWidgets library and these
> patches are not integrated yet by wxWidgets developers. It seems that other
> wxWidgets applications didn't meet these problems.

Ahh - so basically the source-only distribution of the Amaya tarball
isn't really usable then?

> > I also started working on a patch to use the system provided libwww, which
> > I will submit as soon as I get it working.
>
> Amaya won't work with a generic libwww.

If this is the case, that Amaya requires custom version of these two
libraries, why do you distribute the amaya-source only version?

It doesn't seem useful to do so.

> > -the esstix fonts do not comply either, as they require the agreement from
> > the author to be modified.
>
> We have the agreement and we don't plan to change esstix fonts.

Really?

As I understand things the licence, and fonts, were revoked by Elsevier
and transferred to the STI Pub companies.  They have not, as far as I know,
released an updated version of their fonts.

Their website, <http://www.stixfonts.org/>, seems to indicate that a
release should be forthcoming shortly. Do you have a pre-release version
of stixfonts?

Cheers,
Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are