Re: Debian patches review

On Thursday 30 March 2006 15:20, you wrote:
> enable-system-wx.diff : Adds --enable-system-wx option to link against the
> system provided wxWidgets library rather than building it and linking
> statically. It might need a bit of polishing, but I guess it would be nice
> to have this option available for everyone. (attached)

We fixed crashes and OpenGL problems in the wxWidgets library and these
patches are not integrated yet by wxWidgets developers. It seems that other
wxWidgets applications didn't meet these problems.

> dont_build_cextract.diff : Debian specific. It appears that the license
> for cextract doesn't meet the DFSG. Therefore I have to remove it and stop
> building it.

The copyright says:
"The code is freely distributable and there are no restrictions other
than the fact that it not be used for monetary gain and that copyright
notices must be kept intact."
We respect this copyright.

> no_svg_in_homepage.diff : The Gdk error many people have seems to be
> triggered by the Amaya SVG logo on the start page. Although the problem
> seems to actually come from Mesa and/or Xorg, this is a temporary
> workaround to let Amaya at least start.

Are you sure that SVG logo generates an Gdk error in WX versions?
We don't use Gdk to support SVG and as I remember reported Gdk errors
concerned fonts in GTK version.

Amaya won't work with a generic libwww.

> As a sidenote, there I have two license problems with the content of the
> official tarball :
> -the cextract tool is not DFSG-free, so I will have to remove it

See previous remark.

> -the esstix fonts do not comply either, as they require the agreement from
> the author to be modified.

We have the agreement and we don't plan to change esstix fonts.

> Removing cextract is not much of a problem for me; however, I would like
> to know how the removal of esstif fonts would affect the software itself.

It's a problem for us.

For other patches (cascade_hbt.diff, use_debian_fonts.diff,
link_with_libtool.diff) I'll integrate them asap.