Re: Amaya white-space handling

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:06:55 +0100
Bartolomé Sintes Marco <BartolomeSintes@ono.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >>On October 2003, I sent a mail to this
> >>list(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/2003OctDec/0048.html)
> >>asking for white-space support in Amaya, because Amaya was
> >>deleting double white-spaces. Irène suggested
> >> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/2003OctDec/0049.html):
> >> Has been this option included?
> >Yes. It's the PRESERVE_SPACE option defined in your configuration file.
>
> I have added the PRESERVE_SPACE=Yes option in the win-thot.rc file, but the
> spaces are still not preserved. With this option, Amaya lets the user
> introduce several white spaces one after another and save them, but when the
> document is reloaded, the extra spaces are deleted.

This is the normal HTML behavior (see the section White space in
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/struct/text.html).
XML also defines a clear rule about the white spaces management.

The PRESERVE_SPACE option just prevents Amaya to apply the rule
during the edit session, so in this case white spaces are preserved during
the session and are saved, but they are ignored when the document is reloaded
by the parser.

White spaces are preserved within <pre> elements or within elements with
a  "xml:space="preserve" attribute.

> Even if it worked corectly, a global PRESERVE_SPACE option is not a true
> white-space property support. The option should be only applied to elements
> with a 'white-space: pre' style.

We know that CSS property, but we think that a CSS rule mustn't change the
behavior of the HTML and XML parsers. The CSS role is to control the document
display for a given document structure. Spaces introduced into the document source
to make it more readable concern structure parsers and not the CSS engine.