Amaya bug: charset information stripped out

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:24:04 +0100
To: <www-amaya@w3.org>
Cc: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, "'Martin Duerst'" <duerst@w3.org>

We have several times found that Amaya strips the charset declaration,
ie. in our case,

from an XHTML file during either editing or saving.

This is bad enough normally, but we are posting files now without the
XML declaration to ensure that IE works in standards mode.  That leaves
the file without any internal encoding information. Please rectify this
as soon as possible.

Also, please check whether Amaya takes any other such decisions on
behalf of the user.  In my opinion the default should be to leave the
file untouched.  If any cleaning is done it should be an option and the
user should be asked whether it is appropriate.

Thankyou,
RI

Richard Ishida
W3C

tel: +44 1753 480 292
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/

See the W3C Internationalization FAQ page
http://www.w3.org/International/questions.html