Re: hr not accepting either background or color attribute

From: John Russell <ve3ll@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:12:24 -0500
To: Irene Vatton <irene.vatton@inrialpes.fr>, www-amaya@w3.org
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org

> msie and netscape are in debate over which should color the horizontal
> rule .... but amaya avoids issue by not doing anything ;-[  ;-[  ;-[
> which is correct property according to w3.org ( i would think background
>  as there is no content to color up)  and will amaya be implementing ....

Hum, Amaya draws a top line with the foreground color and a "white" bottom
line. When the height of the <hr> is too short, the colored line is covered by
the white bottom line. I changed the write order of top and bottom lines to
avoid that problem now. Meanwhile, you can see the colored line by encreasing
the height of the <hr>.

WHY MUST IT DRAW A 'WHITE' LINE UNDER THE FOREGROUND COLOR LINE...
THIS STRIKES ME AS A ''CONTROL'' ISSUE.  Can the white line part not be
handled as styling --- ie  treated as a bottom border line ....   that way you
can default it to what you like to see ( a 1px white line)  but if an author
wants to style it differently they can ....   this is exactly how opera
handles it...  a bottom border defaulted to thin white  but under user control
using styling .....
if you change it, i know it will not be this round  but maybe next... and i
 think that a change will be philosopically correct...  to put styling into
  style sheets   not in browser hardcoded.....   //
John Russell, VE3LL@RAC.CA
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3ll (2 L's as in LLAMA)
check HTML at http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
check CSS at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/