Problem with international characters in filenames under Windows XP

From: Roberto Ordonez <rordonez@cuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 01:10:05 -0500 (EST)
To: www-amaya@w3.org

Greetings,

	I've only been using Amaya (7.1 - Dec 12 2002 on WinXP Home) a
couple of weeks, but I'm thrilled to have what appears to be a reasonably
powerful, fairly up-to-date, XHTML-compliant editing tool at the right
price: free!  However, from the very beginning, I've experienced what
appears to be an annoying oversight in a package that otherwise handles
i18n issues fairly well:

	I can't have high-ASCII characters in paths (at least locally)!
The problems constantly pops up when I try to view or edit a file in my
personal My Documents folder in Amaya.  Since my WinXP username is
"Roberto Ordˇ˝ez" and it seems to work for any other path that doesn't
contain non-7-bit-ASCII characters, I believe I've isolated the problem.
However, I don't see why this is a problem (then again, I haven't dug into
the source code to try to isolate this, either).

	Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  I don't currently
subscribe to this list, so please reply via email.  Thanks!

--
	Roberto Ordˇ˝ez

Chair, Dept of Computer Science       http://www.cs.cuc.edu/~rordonez/
Columbia Union College        Ph +1-301-891-4104 / Fax +1-301-891-4098
7600 Flower Ave                     Classes: CPTR 105-01, 105L-02, 494
Takoma Park, MD 20912        Office Hours: TTh 9:30-11am, MTh 2:30-6pm