Re: LnxSoc-> Re: Amaya and Gecko ??

My concern is the that there aren't enough developers for Amaya and that all
the added features in Amaya will have to be rewritten for Mozilla.

When you google on free html editors, Amaya comes up first.  It seems there a
large number of people at least want to use it in their everyday lives.  A huge
problem for public software is quality assurance.

I have found that amaya crashes often and unpredictably.  On the Mozilla side,
Bugzilla has been shut down, creating integrity problems for millions of users.
 Many products are built on top of it.

Gecko has been embraced by Gnome making it sanctified as a public project, but
the rapid changes in the renderer is making the Gnome source difficult to
maintain.

Here is a company that seems to want to build a whole desktop from Gecko where
their version of Gecko is Penzilla.  They are open and seem to be aiming for
the embedded markets.

http://oeone.com/developers/

If amaya were to work with Gecko then it seems that the Netscape product would
more closely adhere to the goals of the W3C.

John

--- Irene Vatton <irene.vatton@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
> "John van V." <john_van_v@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been using amaya like a word processor and I have been impressed
> > advanced Web spec and language support.
> >
> > But, I am wondering out loud why you have not considered porting to Gecko.
> > Personally, I dont know anybody that likes Mozilla's commercial side and it
> > feels like Gecko needs to be rescued from [ big conglomerate deleted ].
>
> This would be another project. When you change basic concepts, you're
> not doing a porting but you're developing a new project.
> I guess Netscape guys already develop a HTML editor based on Gecko.
>
> > Also, it seems that everything you write for amaya will have to be
> rewritten
> > for Gecko.. and.. lots of folks speak highly of XUL.
>
> I guess it's important to adopt standards for formats and data but that
> should
> not imply to have a unique tool.
>      Irene.
> -----
> Irène Vatton                     INRIA Rhône-Alpes
> INRIA                               ZIRST
> e-mail: Irene.Vatton@inria.fr       655 avenue de l'Europe
> Tel.: +33 4 76 61 53 61             Montbonnot
> Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex - France

> Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/TliolB/TM

=====
CXN, Inc. Contact: john@thinman.com
President, The Linux Society
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-society
linux society distro -> http://www.thinman.com/eLSD/readme
ThinMan is a registered trademark of CXN, Inc