Re: OO Strategy for Amaya development

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 john.h.nixon@talk21.com wrote:

> I know that a similar issue has been raised before, but I would be interested to know
> what the Amaya developers and other W3C folks think about migrating the development

I'm in neither category, but...

>  of W3C's showcase of Web technologies (Amaya) to C++ (probably reusing a
> lot of the existing C code at first) versus the status quo. Doing this would allow the possibility
> of using object-oriented design principles usually recommended in the design of

OO design is possible in C of course.  C++ facilitates this to some
extent, but is not without its own problems.  An example: It is not
as dynamic as other languages, and if one is moving away from C then
the case for avoiding other OO languages must be made.
fopen("/dev/can/worms", "w+")

        [...]
> Do you think that this would speed up the development of Amaya in the long run and reduce

My opinion: definately not in the short/medium term -- you'd have to
be sure that porting to C++ didn't break anything, for a start.

> the number of bugs in the released versions?

The problem is basically too few developers. I don't see how moving
to C++ would help there.

> John Nixon

        Hugh