Re: german dialogues corrupted in Amaya 6.4 GTK

From: Karl-Michael Schneider <schneide@phil.uni-passau.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:55:23 +0200
To: Irene Vatton <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0200, Irene Vatton wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> > I installed the Amaya GTK 6.4 Linux rpm yesterday. My dialogue language is
> > german. Entries from de-amayadialogue and de-amayamsg in the config directory
> > are not displayed in menus and dialogues if they contain umlauts (äöü) or
>
> I'm not able to read german dialogues but they seem well displayed in my GTK
> 6.4
> version.
> Could you point me to an dialogue entry that doesn't work?

e.g. the following entries in de-amayadialogue

25 Öffnen
26 Öffnen (neues Fenster)...
33 DTD ändern

and all others that contain umlauts. Interestingly, the tool tips are displayed
correctly, even those containing umlauts, like

86 Zurück
87 Vorwärts
97 Überschrift Ebene 1

in de-amayamsg, but for instance "2 Zurücksetzen" in de-amayamsg is not
displayed in dialogues.

However, when I replace umlauts by ascii characters, like e.g.
"2 Zuruecksetzen", Amaya displays the string correctly.

> > possibly other non ascii characters. Has this something to do with fonts/X11 or
> > glibc locale? Umlauts are displayed when they appear in a HTML page in all
> > views (structure, source, text).
>
> It could be due to your glibc locale? I suspect more a choice of a specific
> font for your GTK dialogues.
> Could you check your configuration file .gtkrc

I don't have a .gtkrc in my home directory. There are a lot of files
/etc/gtk/gtkrc.<language>, but no /etc/gtk/gtkrc.de or /etc/gtk/gtkrc.en.

Karl-Michael