bugs in Linux version

The following was the first response to my rant in 2.5pre:
Irrecoverable.... I thought it excellent and asked John if I might post
it. It does help in determining the truth of the state of maturity of
Amaya on other prominent platforms, despite occasional remarks indicating
otherwise.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, John Russell wrote:

> Eddie, I am sure you are very frustrated abt bugs...
> the windows version is also buggy......
> However I think you have a misconception of the
> size and nature of the Amaya group.....
> although w3 is well funded, its direction is towards
> setting standards in developing technologies...
> the amaya group is a small group (maybe FIVE
> people) trying to maintain a testbed to see if
> certain specs like mathml and xml can be implemented.
> Any bugs should be reported with relevent platform info
> and they will put it in the queue.... i think their approach
> is to work on the most interesting bugs first (ie ones that
> take some design thought) and let the silly ones (like i am
> most interested in) just pile up...    give them as much hints
> as possible about specific problems ....
> just dont rant ---- try to encourage
> they have done a good job since last version at getting
>  tables to be better   but still a few bugs ....
> and remember you get what you pay for !!!!
> open source implies authors WANT feedback, even
> suggested fixes if possible. I cant do code either so i
> just make suggestions...
>

> john russell  VE3LL@RAC.CA
>
> homepage: http://web.cgocable.net/~jrussel

Nice to know there's another non-coder out there similarily situated.

And, it's true: we often don't get what we don't pay for. For those of us
of limited means, however, it is nice that publicly available tools like
Amaya are there, just like sidewalks, elevators and libraries.

Eddie Maddox
eddie@mngovsci.com