Re: bug : file selection dialog

Thanks, Andrew

There's legal, and there's legal but undesirable.  Spaces in filenames are
legal in VFAT (I had not known that they were legal in EXT2, since unquoted
they aren't legal in the console), but I would NOT use them in the name of a
web page.

Wouldn't you have to link it

file.htm&quote;">Link</a>

?  Will that even work?  When I've tried it, this has worked

(I might be getting the escape character wrong), but I still wouldn't
recommend it (for one thing, it's ugly).  For anything but a GUI file
manager, spaces are a pain in the neck.

Thanks again,
Patrick

> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 02:39:24PM -0400, P. T. Rourke wrote:
> > Seriously, web page names shouldn't have spaces in them.  If a page is
on an
> > NT box, you can usually get to it in other (non-Amaya) browsers using an
> > escaped space (%20 I think); I haven't tried that in Amaya.  But it's a
bad,
> > bad idea: unix don't like spaces, and some of your readers will be unix.
>
> Not so.  Space is perfectly legal in Unix; you just need to quote it in
> some cases, such as on the command line (where it has another meaning)
> or in a URL (where unquoted spaces are not legal).  Spaces are also
> legal in filenames in (OS/2) HPFS, VFAT (W95 and later), NTFS and HFS.
>
> Of course, a URL with quoted spaces may be somewhat less comprehensible,
> but there's nothing invalid or illegal about it.
>
> Cheers,
> *** Xanni ***
> --
> mailto:xanni@xanadu.net                         Andrew Pam