RE: <!-- Comments ->

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:55:17 +0100
To: "'www-amaya@w3.org'" <www-amaya@w3.org>
> From:	Joseph Whitesell [SMTP:whitesell@physsoft.com]
>
>  It uses  <!-- Start --> and
> <!-- End --> to mark the part it will accept as a user edit.  It is
> designed
> to grab that part and it renders the page by rendering its own part
> together
> with the new edits.  The problem is that Amaya is mangling the comments so
> they can't be scanned reliabily.  This can be seen in the structure view
> and

	Fix the server, or send the suppliers a copy of the
	SGML standard!  It is grossly abusing what is already
	a hack.

	HTML comments are really null SGML directives with embedded
	SGML comments.  This is a real example of comments in a non-null
	directive (this is also why <!------> won't work):

<!ATTLIST BODY
     %attrs;                       -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
     onload %Script; #IMPLIED      -- the document has been loaded --
     onunload %Script; #IMPLIED    -- the document has been removed --

	Although I think the server is misunderstanding SGML, it doesn't
	mean that the Amaya team intended to break their particular hack.