RE: help pages

> From:	John Russell [SMTP:VE3LL@RAC.CA]
>
> Each help page has a set of navigation icons in upper right
> and company / project logos in left --- this is great for getting
> all pages to look similar.  However the w3 logo is in a format
> other than gif/jpg.   I suspect it is a .png file which renders
> ok on Amaya but is only slowly coming onstream.  It is

	It is supported by both of the big 2.  The problem
	you may have is that IE, in particular, is too
	dependent on filenames and won't recognize a local
	.png, if it doesn't end in .png.

> browsers --- aren't html files suppose to be universal
> (the tables look bad on some browsers).  But couldn't
> the logo be in .gif

	I don't think the offline version is intended to be
	viewed with anything other than Amaya, and the online
	version is subject to HTTP content negotiation, so the
	only time you will get a .png is if the browser claims
	to be able to support .png.  (In fact, it looks like the
	online version has been rigged to prefer GIF to PNG files.)

	This demonstrates that the default format for the online
	version is image/gif and that it was subject to content
	negotiation on the Accept: header (using Lynx).

	HTTP/1.0 200 OK
	Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) PHP/3.0.11
	Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:48:03 GMT
	Last-Modified: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 14:38:26 GMT
	Proxy-Connection: close

	(NS 4.6 copes properly, at least when renamed to .png; IE4.01
	recognizes it as a supported format, but appears not to
	display anything - possibly why the online version doesn't
	successfully negotiate PNG with IE or NS.)

	Actually one has to try quite hard to get back the PNG version,
	presumably because of the problems with IE.  If you say that
	GIF is absolutely taboo, you can get PNG:

	HEAD http://www.w3.org/Icons/WWW/w3c_home HTTP/1.1
	Host: www.w3.org
	Accept: image/png, image/gif; q=0.0

	Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:12:43 GMT
	Last-Modified: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 14:38:42 GMT
	Proxy-Connection: keep-alive