Re: Minimal international support for Amaya?

From: Peter Paluch <peterp@frcatel.fri.utc.sk>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:19:30 +0200
To: John Russell <ve3ll@rac.ca>
Cc: www-amaya-dev@w3.org
Hello,
=-==-=

> how does this affect the windows version -- does it have a set locale
> concept.

I don't know. I doubt that the Windows locale works in a same way that Linux
locales do. The fact is that Windows handles the locale initialization
differently, so it would be the best if some Windows users reported their
(un)success with using Amaya under non-English environments.

In the meantime we could solve this platform problem by defining a symbol
LINUX and using a conditional compilation:

#ifdef LINUX
   fprintf (file, "#include \<locale.h\>\n");
#endif

#ifdef LINUX
   fprintf (AppFile, "  setlocale\(LC_ALL,\"\"\);\n");
#endif

> there are methods built into amaya to recognize and save docs as 8859-2
> but at present unicode support is not there.

Maybe the Amaya can recognize the 8859-2 encoding, but it can not display it
nor it can input 8859-2 characters from the keyboard. This way a user can't
browse pages written in 8859-2, nor can he edit or annontate them. Also the
support for the modifier key (dead key, compose key) is problematic. It
obviously uses a fixed (thus incorrect) encoding to interpret the resulting
compose characters.

I suggest that those who are willing to make this working should first have
a look at the NEdit. It is a very good text editor, it uses Motif (or
Lesstif) and it is working perfectly with the 8859-2 charset. It's homepage
and source texts are at http://nedit.org .

Thanks to all.

All the very best,
Peter