From: Dominic Mazzoni [mailto:dmazzoni@google.com]
Sent: Monday, December 8, 2014 9:16 AM
To: John Foliot
Cc: James Craig; WAI XTech; Alexander Surkov; Michael[tm] Smith; Daniel Weck; Ted O'Connor; Janina Sajka
Subject: Re: @aria-describedat at-risk in ARIA 1.1 heartbeat draft

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:

I think as well that your characterization of "dissent" w.r.t. Gecko and Blink
is, shall I say, somewhat exaggerated, but (again) I think we should ask these
actors directly, and neither you nor I assume anything.

Just to be clear, then, I officially object/dissent to the language "User agents should provide a device-independent mechanism to allow a user to..." used anywhere in the ARIA spec, because I feel the user agent directly providing to all users a user-level feature based on an ARIA attribute is a radical departure from the rest of the ARIA spec.

Resolutions I would be happy with include:

* Change the language so that aria-describedat is mapped to native accessibility APIs only, like the rest of ARIA

* Or, make it part of HTML5 and take ARIA out of the name