Re: @aria-describedat at-risk in ARIA 1.1 heartbeat draft

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:

> I think as well that your characterization of "dissent" w.r.t. Gecko and
> Blink
> is, shall I say, somewhat exaggerated, but (again) I think we should ask
> these
> actors directly, and neither you nor I assume anything.

Just to be clear, then, I officially object/dissent to the language "User
agents should provide a device-independent mechanism to allow a user to..."
used anywhere in the ARIA spec, because I feel the user agent directly
providing to all users a user-level feature based on an ARIA attribute is a
radical departure from the rest of the ARIA spec.

Resolutions I would be happy with include:
* Change the language so that aria-describedat is mapped to native
accessibility APIs only, like the rest of ARIA
* Or, make it part of HTML5 and take ARIA out of the name