OT: ARIA dialog examples (Was: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1)

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:35:51 -0700
Cc: Greg Kraus <greg_kraus@ncsu.edu>, "Schnabel, Stefan" <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>, Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@googlemail.com>, James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>
To: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Comments inline:

On Sep 12, 2012, at 2:15 PM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Good example. I don't get it as the code is similar.
>
> In yours
>
> div id="modal" tabindex="-1" role="dialog" aria-labelledby="modalTitle modalDescription" aria-hidden="false" style="display: block;">
>
> then in James

Though the markup is similar, the functionality controlled by the JavaScript is different. Greg's example focuses the dialog with tabindex="-1", and my example focuses the natively focusable button inside the non-focusable dialog.

> Yours has a neg tabindex - and VO announces it, but not James.

Does that mean my example is not working for you? Are you running 10.8 and Safari 6 yet? It may be a version difference. Both examples work well for me.

I expect this thread is digressing off-topic, and suggest we discuss it off-list if a regular Software Update does not resolve your problem.