Re: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

On Sep 12, 2012, at 1:40 PM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I just tested the dialog.htm test case that you sent. I can't get it to work. Am using VoiceOver 3/Safari 5.1.3.

Does that mean you're on Snow Leopard 10.6? Software products are always improving, and that OS is now three years old.

I believe that version should allow you to find the dialog role and label if you "stop interacting with" the dialog, but it wouldn't auto-announce the dialog based on focus changes. That update has been added more recently; I don't recall when but certainly sometime in the last three years.

> When I activate the 'Show the dialog' button the dialog window appears but no output from VO apart from the 'Dismiss' button. There is no notification that a dialog has appeared at all. When I use the VO+ cursor keys to explore the box I can get the text, and then VO will tell me that I am in a dialog box. I'm curious, is this the expected behaviour? Should the SR not announce to the user that a dialog box has appeared and they are within the content first?
>
> Or is it a matter of where you place focus when the dialog window first appears?

It's always a good idea to use the latest and greatest when you report new bugs, especially those related to newly emerging web technologies. In the case of WebKit+VoiceOver, that means the latest released OS (which includes the latest version of both VoiceOver and Safari) and potentially testing the WebKit nightly builds if you feel up to it.

Cheers,
James