Re: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:40:40 +0100
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
CC: Greg Kraus <greg_kraus@ncsu.edu>, "Schnabel, Stefan" <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>, Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@googlemail.com>, James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>
Hi James,

I just tested the dialog.htm test case that you sent. I can't get it to
work. Am using VoiceOver 3/Safari 5.1.3.

When I activate the 'Show the dialog' button the dialog window appears
but no output from VO apart from the 'Dismiss' button. There is no
notification that a dialog has appeared at all. When I use the VO+
cursor keys to explore the box I can get the text, and then VO will tell
me that I am in a dialog box. I'm curious, is this the expected
behaviour? Should the SR not announce to the user that a dialog box has
appeared and they are within the content first?

Or is it a matter of where you place focus when the dialog window first
appears?

Cheers

Josh