Re: [Filter Effects][css3-transforms] Using MathML for formulas

Hi Davide,

you wrote:

"Certainly MathJax could be made to produce the content of the <details>
tag that you have specified."

The inportant point being that MathJax could produce the content, the way
in which it is displayed/structured on the page could be left up to the
developer to implement as appropriate.

you wrote:

"I do have a couple of concerns about your suggestion.  I'm not sure
<figure> is the right tag for this, since the documentation at

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/grouping-content.html#the-figure-element

I'm not sure that most displayed equations satisfy the condition that they
could be removed (or moved to an appendix) without affecting the flow of
the document."

How it is specified *currently* is not of any practical affect, it is more
useful; to look at how the semantics are implemented in browsers. For
example, Firefox implements the <figure> element with a 'group' role [1]
[2] and <figcaption> as IA2 caption role [3]. there is nothing in the
semantics of these roles that implies the rather unwieldy semantics as you
descibed.

you wrote:

"Also this would only work for displayed equations, so would not be an
appropriate form for in-line equations.  You are probably not worried about
in-line math, but I need to be concerned about both forms. "

I agree, the example I provided was for an non -inline equation.

you wrote:

"As for the <details> issue, my understanding is that <details> isn't
implemented in all browsers yet, so I guess you are planning to use a
javascript helper script to handle that. "

Yes, you can see an example of this in action in the HTML to Platform
Accessibility APIs Implementation Guide [4]. As used it provided the
behaviour via scripting, and semanticsvia ARIA.

"One thing I don't understand, however, is how this will prevent screen
readers from trying to read the MathML itself (or MathJax's HTML rendering
of it) in addition to reading both the prose version of the math in the
<summary> in addition to the MathJax-generated text intended for the screen
readers."

It won't:
 scenarios:

1. non AT User who can read the equation and understand its meaning doesn't
need the prose version.
2. non AT User who cannot read the equation and understand its meaning
needs the prose version.
3  AT user who can read the equation using their AT/browser combination and
understand its meaning, doesn't need the prose version.
4. AT user who could read the equation and understand its meaning but their
AT/browser combination does not provide access to the meaning, needs the
prose version.
4. AT User who cannot read the equation and understand its meaning needs
the prose version.

there are most probably others, but in all scenarios without querying the
user it is not possible to know what the user requires, so providing both
with the prose version available via the user clicking a button, seems like
a reasonable solution.

you wrote:
"Finally, it seems to me that a screen reader should NOT read the contents
of the <details> tag other than the <summary> when it is closed, and would
read the contents only when it is opened, so this doesn't seem to me to be
the right way to get a version to AT software. "

Why not, we are not talking about all AT users, we are talking about a
subset, anyway a solution woul be to provide the facility to expand all
details sections at once. Ane example of this (exapnd/collapse buttons) is
available at [4]

you wrote:

"Although screen readers don't currently handle <details> that way, I
expect that in the future they will, and I wouldn't want your documents to
break at that point."

some browsers (chrome/webkit) have implemented the behaviour but not the
semantics or keyboard support [5]. It is only worthwhile and appropriate to
use details/summary if it works for all users as expected, so the semantics
and beahviour have to be added for cross user agent support.

regards
SteveF

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-api-map/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#el-44
[2]