Re: [Filter Effects][css3-transforms] Using MathML for formulas

Thanks for the additional information.  Certainly MathJax could be
made to produce the content of the <details> tag that you have
specified.

But I do have a couple of concerns about your suggestion.  I'm not
sure <figure> is the right tag for this, since the documentation at

	http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/grouping-content.html#the-figure-element

suggests that "The element can thus be used to annotate illustrations,
diagrams, photos, code listings, etc, that are referred to from the
main content of the document, but that could, without affecting the
flow of the document, be moved away from that primary content, e.g. to
the side of the page, to dedicated pages, or to an appendix."  I'm not
sure that most displayed equations satisfy the condition that they
could be removed (or moved to an appendix) without affecting the flow
of the document.

Also this would only work for displayed equations, so would not be an
appropriate form for in-line equations.  You are probably not worried
about in-line math, but I need to be concerned about both forms.

As for the <details> issue, my understanding is that <details> isn't
implemented in all browsers yet, so I guess you are planning to use a
javascript helper script to handle that.  One thing I don't
understand, however, is how this will prevent screen readers from
trying to read the MathML itself (or MathJax's HTML rendering of it)
in addition to reading both the prose version of the math in the
<summary> in addition to the MathJax-generated text intended for the
screen readers.  Finally, it seems to me that a screen reader should
NOT read the contents of the <details> tag other than the <summary>
when it is closed, and would read the contents only when it is opened,
so this doesn't seem to me to be the right way to get a version to AT
software.  Although screen readers don't currently handle <details>
that way, I expect that in the future they will, and I wouldn't want
your documents to break at that point.

Just my two cent's worth.

Davide