RE: View Mode Media Feature review

The spec says: "Applies to: visual and tactile media types" [1].

While these view modes do make sense for visual media types, they don't seem to fit for the two tactile media types "braille" and "embossed" [2].

Questions arising:

1. A user using a screen reader with a braille display: Should the user agent switch to the CSS rules defined for media type "braille"?  This would be strange since the primary interaction mode is visual (there are windows on a screen that the *screen* reader reads out and feeds the braille display).

2. In a pure tactile interaction environment (not mediated through a visual screen as typical for today), does the WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointers) interaction model make sense at all?  On a first glance, i think that it could make sense in a 2D tactile pin matrix environment where raised dots are used to present letters (braille) and graphical strokes, and these dots can be used for interaction with the user.  But it does not make sense for the current media type "braille" (which is meant to be a continuous stream of characters), and not for "embossed" (which is meant to be a static printout in braille).

3. 2D tactile interaction environments are not common (yet).  Should there be an additional tactile media type for 2D tactile interaction (such as "pinmatrix" or "2dtactile")? In research or for early adopters, is there already a commonly accepted interaction vocabulary for 2D tactile displays (such as the WIMP for visual displays)?  Or would we simply go with WIMP for simple transfer between the visual and the tactile representation?

Maybe we can have some discussion on these questions here.

Takeaways:

1. (To the Web Applications WG) Unless they can define what the view modes ("windowed", "floating", "fullscreen", "maximized", "minimized") mean for the media types "braille" and "embossed", we should better not apply 'view-mode' to tactile media types.

2. (For us - WAI and PF) Think about the questions above.

Thanks,
Gottfried