Java annotations JSR (was: [FSF] GNU Project appoints director of access technology software and publishes GNU Accessibility Statement)

Hi Lisa, All,

At 16:41 11/05/2010, Lisa Seeman wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone is working on extending the Java annotations JSR
>to support advanced accessibility such as ARIA (and RDF generally)

Are you referring to JSR 175: "A Metadata Facility for the Java
Programming Language"
<http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=175> or something more recent?

>Rich do you see a point to it, Does the accessibility Java API make it fully
>irrelevant, or are programmers "innovations" making trouble?

The class javax.accessibility.AccessibleRole at
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/accessibility/AccessibleRole.html>
defines a few dozen roles for custom UI components. As far as I know,
WAI-ARIA roles can be mapped to either a Java Swing component that
implements the interface javax.accessibility.Accessible or to a role
in the class javax.accessibility.AccessibleRole, with the exception
of the following WAI-ARIA roles:
* article
* banner
* complementary
* contentinfo
* definition
* directory (might map to LIST)
* document
* heading
* log
* main
* marquee
* math
* navigation
* note
* presentation
* radiogroup
* region
* timer
* treegrid
* treeitem
* (and abstract roles such as section, which must not be mapped via
the standard role mechanism for the accessibility API)

I don't know of a Java equivalent for:
* aria-autocomplete (property),
* aria-relevant

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

>Dan, maybe extending Java annotations would be an interesting direction for
>making RDF more powerful (IE extend to programmable logic)
>
>Anyway, if anyone does work on it, please tell me..
>

>Thanks
>
>Lisa
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@danbri.org>

(...)