Re: How aria-multiselectable applies to TreeViews

From: Hans Hillen <hans.hillen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:30:39 +0100
Cc: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@yahoo-inc.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Satyam Utsa <satyamutsa@yahoo.com.ar>
To: Todd Kloots <kloots@yahoo-inc.com>
Hi todd,

I have a very basic example tree that uses aria-multiselectable="true" here: http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/samples/aria/tree/ . (The first treeview is multiselectable).

It doesn't indicate partially selected branches though. I think the best approach for indicating these would be to simply use aria-checked rather than aria-selected, and set aria-checked="mixed" on branch nodes where applicable. I'm not really sure if this fit's in the spec though, for example whether that would make sense in combination with  aria-multiselectable="true" (since you wouldn't really be using selection anymore). Also, I vaguely remember the ARIA specs once mentioning that the "mixed" value was only allowed on checkboxes (and therefore not on treeitem roles), but I can't find that anywhere in the latest version so maybe it's OK now.

Using aria-checked="mixed"  might be the easiest solution since it doesn't require a change to the spec, and many multiselectable treeviews would already use checboxes to indicate their selected state anyway. Of course if anybody can tell me why this is a bad idea, I'm all ears.

Regards,

Hans Hillen