Re: How aria-multiselectable applies to TreeViews

From: Todd Kloots <kloots@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:03:03 -0800
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
CC: Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@yahoo-inc.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Satyam Utsa <satyamutsa@yahoo.com.ar>
James -

I think you misread my email.  I was asking for guidance rather than arguing a position.  I am confused how "aria-multiselectable" is designed to work with the "tree" role - not the "menu" role.  Specifically, how do we indicate the selected state of a parent node in a tree control if only some of the node's children are selected?  For example, consider the following markup:

<ul role="tree" aria-multiselectable="true">
  <li role="presentation">
    <a role="treeitem" aria-expanded="true" href="#group-1">Fruits</a> <!-- parent node -->
    <ul id="group-1" role="group">
      <li role="treeitem" aria-selected="true">Apple</li>
      <li role="treeitem" aria-selected="false">Orange</li>
      <li role="treeitem" aria-selected="true">Pear</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

In this instance would the parent "Fruits" treeitem have an "aria-selected" state value of "true" or "false"?  Or does this use case illustrate the need for a value of "mixed"?

- Todd