Re: Draft text for summary attribute definition

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:36:44 +0000
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: wai-xtech@w3.org, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hallo Steve --

> Hi Philip,
>
>>  Why is 'role="presentation"' preferable to 'role="layout"' here ?
>>  I would have thought that the latter would be more transparent
>>  to authors.
>
> because ther is no role="layout" defined as far as I am aware, but
> there is a role="presentation" defined in WAI-ARIA [1] and this
> includes as one of its example use cases
> "A layout table and/or any of its associated cells, rows, etc."
>
> [1]http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#presentation
>

> regards
> stevef

I could see that this would be very important if HTML 5 were defined
to use solely ARIA roles, but as far as I can tell from reading
the draft specification at

	http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/

HTML 5 makes no reference to ARIA whatsoever, and it is therefore
(currently) open to HTML to define its own roles.  Whether this
would be beneficial is clearly open to debate, but in the absence
of a normative reference to

	http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

in the HTML 5 draft specification the possible values for ROLE
are still open.

Philip TAYLOR