Re: Draft text for summary attribute definition

Philip TAYLOR 2009-03-01 11.33:
> [All individuals removed from CC list]
>
> Composite reply, having watched the debate silently so far :
>
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> This is also related to how sighted persons perceive a table. We
>> perceive it as a collections of cells, in different relationships. To
>> us there is one "cell" - or place - that relates to all the cells, and
>> that is the caption. To add a summary for the table container becomes
>> a little bit ... abstract.
>
> But we are not discussing where the summary should appear visually;

As if I do? Where is that shaddow you're fighting?

> we are discussing where it should appear in the markup.

right.

>  And in the
> markup, <TABLE> is the 'one "cell" - or place - that relates to all
> the cells', so it is surely as an attribute of <TABLE> that "summary"
> should appear.

Here is a comparison:

The name of <table> is from now on <html>.
The name of <tbody> is from now on <body>.
The name of <caption> - now called <head>.

So, no, I don't see why <caption> is a "totally unrelated
concept". For some reason, there is no problem accepting that
meta-information and "What this page is about" information goes
into the <head> element.
--
leif halvard silli