Re: Discussion: Accessibility Issues Procedure

I propose the full text of this proposal should be deleted and
replaced with:

"Decisions on accessibility issues should be made in the same way as
any other issue before the HTML Working Group, in accordance with our
Charter and Decision Policy".

Rationale:

The proposed policy has several flaws.

First, the proposed policy suggests to give veto power to the PWFG
over accessibility issues (the proposed process is that no issue may
be considered closed until the PFWG is happy, and can be closed as
soon as PFWG is happy.). While it's W3C practice to consult with and
consider the input of other Working Groups in related areas, it is
also accepted standard practice that requests of other Working Groups
may be declined. For example, I have seen the CSS WG and SVG WG
decline each other's requests many times, in areas of their respective
expertise. Thus, the proposed process is out of line with the norms
and official Process of the W3C.

Second, the request to give WAI/PFWG a veto power does not even come
from WAI itself; instead it is made by an assortment of people, some
of whom are not WAI members at all. If WAI really wants that kind of
power over other W3C Working Groups, then I think it should officially
make the request itself.

Third, I think the proposal is inappropriate because essentially
demands that the HTML Working Group should genuflect and kiss the
ring. I think respect and collegiality with other W3C Working Groups
is appropriate, but obsequious subservience is not. The HTML WG has
the authority to make decisions on the documents within its charter,
and is not obliged to get the approval of external groups.

Fourth, I think the proposal is in bad faith because its proponents
have been unable to get their way on certain issues by arguing
technical merits or by consensus building, so they want to change the
rules so they can automatically win. I think trying to change the
rules so you can get your way is inappropriate.

Fifth, there's no reason accessibility issues can't be handled in the
same way as any other issue within the purview of the HTML Working
Group. Anyone can become a member of the HTML WG and be heard the same
as anyone else. In fact, the signatories of this proposal are all HTML
WG members and have been among the most vocal.

Regards,
Maciej