Re: Draft text for summary attribute definition

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:10:28 +0100
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Steven Faulkner 2009-02-27 13.18:
> Hi all,
> I have taken up Sam Rubys suggestion:
>
> "As for me, what I would most like to see in the next draft is a RFC
> 2119 compatible definition for table summaries, either in terms of a
> HTML 4 compatible attribute or in terms of a suitable replacement.
> Note that I am specifically saying "in a draft".  What I am *not*
> looking for is a reply to this email on how such a topic might be
> approached." [1]
>

> and taken a stab at a RFC 2119 compatible definition for table summaries:
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/SummaryForTABLE/SummarySpecification
>
> If you have positive contributions to make to this definition please
> add comments to the wiki page in the notes section

What I am missing in that text is a focus on authors.

We need to challenge authors:

  * to choose EITHER caption OR summary OR both.
  * if they use identical captions.
  * if the summary looks like caption
  * if they seems to have written "this a layout table" info

In short, authors needs help juxtaposing the two things. In
general, what one could do for this are:

  * somehow linking summary to caption;
  * ways to let author see both simultaneously;
  * ways to discover tables with caption but not summary;
  * ways to discover tables with summary but not caption;

I will try to offer a RFC 2119 compatible text that seeks
accomodate for this.
--
leif halvard silli