W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > wai-xtech@w3.org > February 2009

[AAPI] minutes: ARIA UAI Task Force call, 2009-02-27 [draft]

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:02:28 +0000
To: wai-xtech@w3.org
Cc: Tim Boland <frederick.boland@nist.gov>, Becky Gibson <gibsonb@us.ibm.com>
Message-Id: <20090227165845.M28979@hicom.net>
aloha!

the minutes of the initial ARIA User Agent Implementation Task Force 
teleconference are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html

as an IRC log at:

http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-irc

and as plain text, following my signature; as usual, please log any 
comments, clarifications, corrections, mis-attributions and the like
by replying to this announcement on-list (wai-xtech@w3.org) using the 
[AAPI] subject line prefix

thanks to Joshue O Connor for doing the bulk of the minuting at the 
initial Task Force meeting

note that the following ACTION ITEMS were assigned during today's 
AAPI Task Force call:

   ACTION: Gregory - compile complete list of elements and
   attributes in current PWD of HTML5 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action01]

   ACTION: DavidB - set up collaborative workspace on CodeTalks.org
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action02]

   ACTION: Andi - make list of ToDo in pertinent documents
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action03]

   ACTION: Cynthia - send email to UAI TF to all invitees proposing
   meeting dates and times [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action04]

and that the following RESOLUTIONS were logged:

   RESOLVED: set up draft on W3C site for editors

the next scheduled task force meeting will be held on 13 MARCH 2009, 
at 1600h UTC -- for more details about the task force, please visit:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-ua-task-force

and remember, please use the wai-xtech@w3.org emailing list for task
force related email; when posting to wai-xtech about task force 
issues, please be sure to use the Subject line prefix:

[AAPI] 

thank you, gregory.
     _________________________________________________________________

                                   - DRAFT -

                   ARIA User Agent Implementation Task Force

27 Feb 2009

   See also: IRC log [http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-irc]

Attendees

   Present
          David_Bolter, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Janina, Cooper,
          Gregory_Rosmaita, Cynthia_Shelly, Joshue

   Regrets
   Chair
          Cynthia_Shelly

   Scribe
          Joshue

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Deliverables
         2. Meetings
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________



   <davidb> MichaelC, you just had to go change my channel topic didn't
   you.

   <davidb> surkov, you can dial in now

   <cshelly> o Introductions

   <cshelly> o Description of Work items

   <cshelly> o Discussion of timing requirements and priority for work
   items

   <cshelly> o Define next steps, including volunteering for tasks. Andi
   will be editing the WAI-ARIA 1.0 User Agent Implementation

   <cshelly> o General working style of the group

   <cshelly> o Meeting times going forward. I think every two weeks is
   probably about right, but would like to discuss.

   <davidb> MichaelC, you on the call?

   <MichaelC> trying

   <MichaelC> both zakim dialout and dialin havnn't been working for me

   <oedipus> scribe: Joshue

   <oedipus> ScribeNick: Joshue

   <oedipus> JOC: CFIT (www.cfit.ie) - user testing, research

   <cshelly> at http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-ua-task-force

   <scribe> scribenick: Joshue

   GJR: Been around a longtime :-)

   Mike: Team contact for PFWG

Deliverables

   CS: I want to talk what people are interested in working on.
   ... The list of deliverables are 1) The WAI ARIA User Implementations
   Guidelines.

   <oedipus> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/

   CS: Aaron Lev has done the first draft. The reason this group has been
   created is to finish this work.
   ... It is difficult for developers to know what to do with ARIA, so
   this is what these guidelines are for.
   ... Other pieces, are the mappings between accessibility APIs etc.
   ... There are various implementations but no real clear documentations
   etc.

   <oedipus> Deliverables

   <oedipus> * WAI-ARIA User Agent Implementation Guidelines, as a
   deliverable of the PFWG. This would be a Working Group Note and
   include a mapping of ARIA features to accessibility API features or
   some neutral abstraction. It is separate from the ARIA specification,
   but (if the User Agent Implementation Guidelines is on the
   Recommendation track) both documents should reach CR at the same time,
   as the user agent implementation guidelines is needed to document
   implementation

   <oedipus> * Mapping of HTML features to accessibility API features, as
   a deliverable of the HTML WG. The mapping needs to be developed
   together with the ARIA mapping in the previous deliverable, in order
   to ensure that the recommendations of these two mappings are
   consistent. This may be subsumed into one or another of the HTML5
   deliverables.

   <oedipus> * The tests that are used to get WAI-ARIA through CR, as a
   deliverable of the PFWG.

   <oedipus> * The tests that are used to get HTML5 through CR, as a
   deliverable of the HTML WG.

   <oedipus> * Produce implementation guidance dealing with how access
   information from the formats is communicated to AT.

   <oedipus> * Test suite development to a degree which can be adjusted
   as the work progresses.

   <oedipus> * Propose additions and edits to the WAI-ARIA specification
   that are necessary to ensure user agent interoperability.

   CS: I would like to see these mappings become normative.

   <oedipus> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-ua-task-force

   CS: There are other things here, DOM aspects, test suite development
   etc

   DB: I think thats great.

   CS: Andy has agreed to edit these guidelines.

   Andy: No real ideas yet, needs a lot of work to get finished.

   CS: There are docs online Mozilla etc..
   ... We need to dig up everything out there and combine it.
   ... We could assign different APIs and work on those.
   ... What are other peoples experience?

   DB: Surkov and I could do Mozilla.

   CS: We hope to get people from Opera and Apple also.

   :-)

   CS: We should start with the mapping doc and implementors guide.

   PF: The MC will do that independently.

   MC: Suggest the group does not do these tests themselves just yet.

   CS: I suggest that those who want to do the mapping work start with
   that.

   MC: Don't know when work, research will be done. It will take time,
   confs etc coming up. It is on the agenda. Others here may have ideas
   of what are appropriate tools etc.

   <oedipus> can we leverage http://a11y.org/a11y-dom-api ????

   CS: I see this all going into a large table.
   ... We could have a separate doc for each API?

   MS: For each role you will need separate columns for each state and
   property etc. We see the HTML WG members also contributing.

   CS: We just need check in check out functionality.

   MC: That will be difficult, lets discuss that offline.
   ... A blank table with ARIA roles and states would be a start. I could
   kick that off.

   <oedipus> Accessibility and Document Object Model Comparisons:
   http://a11y.org/a11y-dom-api

   CS: Does anyone know of a way to get a list of all of the specs
   elements and @'s?

   GJR: Which spec?

   <oedipus> i would use mikesmith's barebones markup

   CS: HTML 5
   ... Mike Smiths doc?

   GJR: Yes, I was gonna suggest that.

   CS: Who wants to do that?

   DB: Is there anyone on both teams.

   CS: I am, and GJR.

   I can work with GJR.

   CS: We can start that and share via mail etc.
   ... We can get together every two week? That ok?

   <oedipus> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/markup-spec/

   DB: Sure.

   <Zakim> oedipus, you wanted to ask if can we leverage
   http://a11y.org/a11y-dom-api ????

   MC: It would be good to share these mapping via email before meetings.

   DB: Am a little worried about working via email, could you sort
   something out with checkin/out.

   GJR: What about codetalks?
   ... There are confidentiality issues.

   MC: Codetalks is not a W3C resource.

   <oedipus> http://wiki.codetalks.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

   <oedipus> GJR: we could also use the PF/XTech wiki

   MC: We could have a disclaimer about transfer to W3C space.

   <oedipus> http://esw.w3.org/topic/PF/XTech/HTML5

   MC: If we do that, its prob ok to use codetalks.

   CS: This will be shortterm.

   <oedipus> ACTION: Gregory - compile complete list of elements and
   attributes in current PWD of HTML5 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action01]

   <oedipus> should we be making RESOLUTIONs?

   Discussion on logistics of the UAI groups work

   DB: I didn't follow

   CS: We will 1) Set up a draft on W3C site and make me an editor and 2)
   set up a collaborative effort via Codetalks

   You could upload a MS or HTML doc to codetalks?

   DB: I will contact everyone with login details etc.

   <oedipus> RESOLVED: set up draft on W3C site for editors

   <oedipus> ACTION: DavidB - set up collaborative workspace on
   CodeTalks.org [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action02]

   CS: Guidelines doc?

   Andy: Will go through a list and start with that.

   <oedipus> ACTTION: Andi - make list of ToDo in pertinent documents

   <oedipus> ACTION: Andi - make list of ToDo in pertinent documents
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action03]

Meetings

   CS: I am on the West coast.
   ... Europeans.

   JS: We hope to get a few more.

   <oedipus> Joshue in Ireland, Steve Faulkner in England

   Andi: This time is good for me.

   This time is good for me also btw

   CS: I will send out a mail to everyone.

   <oedipus> ACTION: Cynthia - send email to UAI TF to all invitees
   proposing meeting dates and times [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action04]

   CS: Does this time work for everyone?
   ... If so we will have another meeting at the same time on March 13th.

   <inserted> ScribeNick: oedipus

   CS: first day of SXSW
   ... anyone going to SXSW or CSUN2009?

   MC: will be at SXSW

   JS: two weeks from today is fine -- 13 March 2009 1600h UTC

   <cshelly> [aapi]

   <Joshue> GJR: What was the ID tag u wanted?

   CS: email exchanges should take place on XTech Mailing list with
   subject prefix [AAPI]
   ... covered agenda - anything else?

   GENERAL THANKS ALL AROUND

   ADJORNED

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Andi - make list of ToDo in pertinent documents
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Cynthia - send email to UAI TF to all invitees proposing
   meeting dates and times [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: DavidB - set up collaborative workspace on CodeTalks.org
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Gregory - compile complete list of elements and
   attributes in current PWD of HTML5 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2009/02/27-aapi-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________
Received on Friday, 27 February 2009 17:03:07 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 13:16:01 GMT