Re: aria-flowto changes user-agent behavior, which isn't the intended purpose of ARIA

If the referenced portion is actually in a separate section, but is
only relevant to a particular spot in the text (a footnote, for
example), there should be a link, perhaps utilizing the 'rel' attribute.

If it's not actually a separate section, but it's just a styled to be
displayed in the next column (a pull quote, for example) then the
source code order should remain the same and the style should just be
defined with CSS.

In either case, I don't see a reason to change reading order or tab
order for AT.