Re: Propose removal or modification of the "Rorschach inkblot test" example and accompanying text.

So your position is that WCAG 1.0 got it wrong and WCAG 2.0 have got
it wrong on what is an appropriate text alternative in the situation
described.

 What you need to do is provide good reasons why Ian's view is
superior to that of WCAG 1.0 and WCAG 2.0 on the subject of text
alternatives. Which to date you have not.

On 13/04/2008, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Steven Faulkner wrote:
> >
> > Propose removal or modification of the "Rorschach inkblot test"
> > example and accompanying text as it is inconsistent with WCAG 1.0 and
> > WCAG 2.0. Reasoning for this provided in:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0297.html
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0299.html
>
> Removing examples to hide contradictions is counter-productive. We should
> work to resolve the contradictions, not simply ignore them.
>
> In this particular case, the error appears to be in the WCAG drafts, which
> have apparently not had the consequences of their advice thoroughly
> considered. Thus, new examples (and text for how to handle them) should be
> added to WCAG, rather than removing examples from the HTML5 draft.
>
> Henri described the real problem in detail here:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0322.html
>
> We should work with the WAI to address the real problem, directing our
> advocacy efforts directly at the people providing images without
> alternative text, if we want to have any real useful effect on the Web's
> acessibility for blind users.
>
> --

with regards

Steve Faulkner