Re: Propose removal or modification of the "Rorschach inkblot test" example and accompanying text.

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> Propose removal or modification of the "Rorschach inkblot test"
> example and accompanying text as it is inconsistent with WCAG 1.0 and
> WCAG 2.0. Reasoning for this provided in:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0297.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0299.html

Removing examples to hide contradictions is counter-productive. We should
work to resolve the contradictions, not simply ignore them.

In this particular case, the error appears to be in the WCAG drafts, which
have apparently not had the consequences of their advice thoroughly
considered. Thus, new examples (and text for how to handle them) should be
added to WCAG, rather than removing examples from the HTML5 draft.

Henri described the real problem in detail here:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0322.html

We should work with the WAI to address the real problem, directing our
advocacy efforts directly at the people providing images without
alternative text, if we want to have any real useful effect on the Web's
acessibility for blind users.