Re: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:23:57 +0100
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> I would prefer to be brodcasting the first message rather than the
> second as the use of the alt atttibute is the primary mechanism by
> which text alternatives are provided.

FWIW this issue is as much to do with the message that the WG broadcasts
and how this will be perceived by authors/developers. The nitty gritty
of how applications are designed to deal with content, their output or
accessibility/usability etc in the endgame is in the hands of users of
these tools.

Cheers

Josh