Re: reCAPTCHA: focus moves after audio fired, some thoughts

Hey,

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> ben wrote:
>> The focus-moving is mostly for the demo. It makes it much easier
>> to try out the demo (sort of like the google.com homepage). Also,
>> we move the focus to the input box after you switch to/from an
>> audio captcha. Any thoughts on this?
> unquote
>
> when you need to open the audio captcha challange in a media player,
> like as not, focus is going to be grabbed by the media player, unless
> one is quick enough to cycle back to the page, enter into "forms mode"
> and get not just the application cursor into the text area, but the
> virtual JAWS cursor, which allows one to actually interact with a
> form, must first be invoked, either through the "form control list"
> or by ensuring one is inside the edit area (using the aforementioned
> INSERT plus TAB) and pressing ENTER to enter "forms mode", which i
> have always thought one of the clumsiest implementations ever, as
> ENTER can be interpreted as a command to the user agent to submit
> the form, just as invoking the "form control list", which is invoked
> using INSERT plus F5, sometimes undoes everything entered into the
> form to that point due to its being misinterpreted as a call to
> reload the document...

It sounds like juggling might be easier...

> is there something other than quicktime you
> could use, such as RealAlternative?  if you don't have QuickTime
> installed, one must obtain the audio captcha via a media player that
> like as not will steal focus from the browser instance --
> RealAlternative, as i understand, is the second best thing to
> using the operating system's or user agent's backplane audio
> renderer, so that one need not leave the user agent in order to have
> the audio file fired...

We don't do anything to ask for quicktime. We simply insert and <embed>
element into the document. Could you take a look at:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

And click the audio button under Word Verification. Is this any better?

Does anybody have suggestions as to the best thing to do from the html
side?

-b